Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fall leaf quilt from vintage shirts...


So this little project has been on the back burner since last fall...September, if I recall.  I rarely make any of the quilts that I see in magazines, but this one was on the cover of American Patchwork and Quilting.  I gathered up a bunch of my shirts and started cutting away!  Now for the stupid part...I opened the magazine to check the layout, and whether or not I needed borders, and I apparantly ripped out all the pages associated with this pattern and put them somewhere--somewhere I can't find!!  Duh....Anyhow, I'm working on sewing the top together and then I'll check the dimensions and add on to it if necessary.  It is going to hang behind my table during the fall.  I'm thinking I'd like to have a bunch of swirls (like wind) qulted on it.  Anyhow, that is all for today!  Tonight I need to organize a bunch of random fabric that I bought this summer.  Hopefully I can get that done...

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous blocks! Can't wait to see it quilted. Do you do your own quilting, hand or machine, or hire out to a longarm service?
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I used to own a longarm and did my own quilting. But I sold it all to spend more time with my kids and family. Now I send out my quilt tops to be quilted...but I'm inspired by Amandajean at crazymomquilts.blogspot.com to try stippling on my DSM again. If that goes well, I can do that for small quilts and things I make for charity/kids baby quilts, etc. Maybe even table runners if I ever get to decorate beyond "kid friendly" furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any particular way you prepare your thrifted shirts for quilting? I throw mine all in the washing machine as soon as I get home. Do you just save them whole till you have a project you want to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wash immediately and then start cutting...I follow Bonnie Hunter's method. But I don't save the buttons unless they are really cool. I have hundreds of shirts cut up in plastic totes--separated by color. I'll post some cool pics tomorrow! I'm a serious shirt hoarder. LOL...I have to cut them up right away or they take up too much room...

    ReplyDelete

It is great to hear from you... I had to eliminate anonymous comments due to spamming....sorry!